Swans are truly elegant birds. Their overall physique and stature makes them ornamental in every pond and lake. Whenever you want to raise swan, keeping swans is just a matter of simple tasks. They do not require extensive work upon raising them, however, you must guard them against predators like coyotes and wolves as swans are very gentle in nature. Whenever you have plans in keeping swans for your own purposes, consider the following tips in raising them:
1. Before keeping swans, make a shelter for them. They usually spend time in bodies of water, so if you do not have one you can try to make a man-made pond or lake. Be sure to add trees and bushes around so they can have a hooded place for their nests.
2. Guard them from predators by fencing their place. Swans are very attractive in the eyes of carnivorous animals, so you must protect them from these predators. The fence will also keep them from wandering around.
3. Add aquatic plants in your man-made pond or lake. Swans are mostly herbivorous and they feed on roots, stems, leaves and tubers from the aquatic plants that they can find. However, this task is not necessary if you are keeping swans in a natural pond or lake.
4. Make sure to provide your swans with a continuous supply of food or else, they will wander away. Swans naturally fly away, but they will keep on coming back if their usual place of stay has a continuous supply of food.
5. Once a swan has her own cygnets, they will start in taking care of it. You just need to watch for neglected cygnets. These cygnets either have a disability or suffering from a bad health, and mature swans neglect these kinds of cygnets as a way of natural selection, a kind of survival principle. You have the option to take care of these neglected cygnets personally and assist them in growing up.
Keeping swans are not very hard tasks, so you can readily start raising them. Breeding is not a problem as well since swans commonly have their permanent partner for mating and they make their own nests for incubating their eggs. Just be watchful for predators as swans can not protect themselves from these carnivorous animals. After focusing on keeping swans efficiently, you can be assured with a line of quality beautiful swans for your pond or lake!