Canyoning is like a triathlon consisting of hiking, climbing, abseiling and swimming. This opens up a lot of possibilities for adventure anywhere in the world. In fact you can make it as easy or as hard as you desire. You can do a half-triathlon or go for broke and design an Ironman of canyoning. Known as ghyll scrambling in Great Britain, kloofing in South Africa and river tracing in the Far East, canyoning is an activity that will take you around the world! Here are 10 of the best locations.
1. Partnachklamm, Austria. This gorge in Austria is perfect for year round canyoning. Spectacular stalactite icicles and water freezes that provide a winter wonderland, and the perfect summer adventure where the ice melts to spectacular waterfalls, and whirlpools with a spectacular canyon background along an 800 meter mountain sprawl.
2. Grand Canyon, USA. Famous for its ancient archaeological value, the Grand Canyon is a gold mine of good to know facts and amazing locations carved thousands of years ago by the Colorado River. This location boasts of challenging incline terrains and majestic rock formations.
3. Wulingyuan, China. It takes more than just a weekend to explore this great location for canyoning in China's first national park. However the time spent discovering it will be worth your adventurous while. Technology has played a significant part in the exploration of these canyons as the tallest elevator in the world will give you access to a stunning labyrinth of canyons, a diversity of trails and rock formations.
4. Dudh Khosi, Kathmandu, Nepal. Gorges and trenches formed by the melting snowy peaks of the magnificent Mt. Everest brings canyoning to its best in this mountainous region. Be guided by rivers along the gorges and valleys as you end your adventure in one dramatic waterslide into refreshing river waters.
5. Grand Canyon of the Verdon, France. Carefully marked trails make it easy for you novice canyoneers. However for some who want more than a mediocre adrenalin surge, you can follow the trail of the turquoise waters of the famous Verdon River, scaling limestone edifices in different angles and slopes. Then challenge your skills at Styx du Verdon which consists of a tall maze of thin cliffs that lead to an underground river.
6. Agawa Canyon, Canada. Go back in time as you come face to face with Canada's oldest masterpiece of nature. The Agawa Canyon is part of a protected wilderness site that can only be accessed on foot. Untouched, undisturbed and remarkably beautiful forests and gorges provide that perfect setting for a relaxing day of canyoning.
7. Bruar Falls canyon, UK. An experience fully packed with adrenalin activities for a full day! Choose from a thrilling day of canyoning or opt for a night adventure for that more eerie mysterious aura. Whether you choose day or night, you will still end this great adventure with one big splash as you abseil down a waterfall drop of 120 feet!
8. Copper canyon, Mexico. A remote location where early spring brings out the best that nature has to offer. It is the largest canyon system in North America where rugged terrain and medium to difficult grades of slopes will absolutely give you the adrenalin challenge that you need. Breathtaking views of the Urique River will urge you to keep on trekking through narrow slots leading you through the canyon.
9. Spanish Pyrenees, Spain. It's the perfect canyoning landscape just by the enthralling rivers of Vero, Marcu Balced and Formaiga. It's a full production, with the environment, light and climate.
10. Blue Mountains, Australia. Canyoning at its most convenient. The Blue Mountains holds about 400 canyons with different grades and difficulty. Canyons such as the Grand Canyon are perfect for novice canyoneers while the Empress Falls is an abseilers haven spot. To put you up for a challenge you can try the Claustral Canyon or prefer to stay dry and opt for the Tigersnake Canyon. Or if you want to add to your adventure you can enjoy some caving at the Jenolan Caves.
Canyoning is a sport that will take you to great adventures all over the world. It's not too difficult to find this activity especially when you speak of mountainous locations. And with the fast gain of popularity for its diverse and unique activities, canyoning is becoming the preferred outdoor action by those who want to do it all.